1. Encourage your child to keep a diary. Respect privacy.
2. Encourage your child to write for real purposes everyday – shopping lists / phone messages etc.
3. Praise the effort and respond to the message and not the handwriting, grammar etc.
4. Make sure that your child has access to a dictionary, thesaurus to help with writing.
5. Allow your child work on a word processor.
6. Try crossword puzzles and ‘Find the word puzzles’.
7. Provide a range of attractive writing materials – coloured pens, fancy paper.
8. Encourage your child to write greeting cards / thank you notes etc.
9. Encourage your child to take part in writing competitions / community projects.
10. Show your child that you value writing by writing yourself.